Friday, 1 February 2013

Revolver

An alternate name for this post is "Zahra sucks at time keeping...". As evidenced by this placeholder I put up five days ago!:

"I didn't see Les Mis. I will talk about Revolver instead. Post will be up by the end of the night.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Zahra."

Still, on to the topic at hand...

Revolver. I found it while I was looking for Safe. It is an awesome film. Why are my sentences suddenly really choppy? Now, by now you might have noticed two things:

  1. I like pretty much anything. I should start adding ratings to these posts, as you sure can't tell how much I liked it from what I'm saying.
  2. I REALLY like Jason Statham films, despite most of the word seeing them as mediocre - they usually score between 5.0 and 6.7 on the imdb. That said, his two highest rated films (at least I think they are) which are the Expendables films, I actually really disliked.
Anyway! Revolver! Revolver is...hmm... what I'd call a cross between your average gangster film and Inception (which was good, but didn't live up to the hype). It's the story of a guy who recently got out of prison after taking the fall for his employer (who also accidentally killed his sister in law when he was threatening his family to make sure he kept quiet). He comes out and decides it's high time for a little revenge.

A champion chess-player and a really good con-artist (who may or may not actually exist) somehow manage to get him infected with some life-threatening disease (which also may or may not be a figment of his imagination), but tell him that if he passes up all his money to them and their loan-sharking business they'll keep him safe from the assassination attempts his ex-employer keeps attempting to pull. They also manage to steal a large shipment of "white powder" - which I'm relatively sure is cocaine (dumb comment I know) ;) - which the ex-employer (who had a name, but I can't remember it...I shall call him Bob) needs to pass on to some other dude (who also may or may not exist, depending on your viewpoint).

Reluctantly, Jason Statham parts with his money, figuring he's not going to need it, and watches as the two loan sharks give the money to people who will never be able to pay it back. He's always unhappy when he passes over the money funnily enough, before realising that money is his weakness and it's being exploited. As is his claustrophobia. Somewhat-mental Jason Statham goes around making - it sounds cliche but it's not - charitable donations, under Bob's name - see  - and things come to a head with some murder attempts on his niece and some kind of enemy within battle and walking in to a room just in time to see also-somewhat-mental Bob shoot himself.

Though I've possibly just condensed the film into three paragraphs, I wouldn't say I've given it away. At all. It's an absolutely mental and confusing film, but a genuinely good one, which I wish people would take more time to understand *shakes fist at people who go "huh, didn't understand it so fast-forwarded to the end...still didn't understand it" (yes there are lots of people like that*.

See you next time,
Zahra.

P.S. Ooh! Rating! Umm.... 71/100?

All film review posts: Revolver, Rise of the Guardians, Django Unchained, Breaking Dawn, In Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment