Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Pretty Curved Sword

If this is here, I either wasn't able to coerce Jack to do it, or I forgot to take it off of the schedule ;)

Disclaimer: I am still not, nor do I claim to be, a weapons expert. Take what I say with a pinch of scepticism and feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Today's weapon is one I simply happen to find pretty. It's an obsolete weapon that no-one has used since 1300BC, so I don't know how much use you might find for these little details - unless you're writing a novel set in Ancient Egypt...

Name: Khopesh, sometimes pronounced "khepesh". It means "sickle-sword" in Egyptian. It is also called a "sappara"
Type: Sword. Usually 50-60cm in length but can be shorter.
Description: Its name means sickle-sword for a reason.
Historically used: I actually don't know. There are quite a few blunted ones found in "high-status" graves, most likely for ceremonial reasons
Primary Uses: -Hooking an opponent's shield
                      -Disarming an opponent.
                      -Making sabre-like slashes.
Image: 

No comments:

Post a Comment