Sunday, 7 October 2012

The Weird and Wonderful Land

I am of course, talking about YouTube. Over the last week I have found a few features I never knew about, and if I liked YouTube before - and trust me, I did - I'm obsessed with it now.

The trends page is basically YouTube's blog, covering videos which are new and on the rise but not yet super popular. Hasn't actually been updated since September 19th (at the time of writing) but it's an interesting read anyway. It's accessible via youtube.com/trends or youtube-trends.blogspot.co.uk

The EDU part of YouTube is honestly where most of my time has been spent recently. It may sound boring, but trust me, it's not. In the EDU part, any searches you enter will only return with videos that YouTube deems educational. It's an invaluable, pretty much untapped resource that makes it so much easier for students like myself to search for educational videos. It's accessible by youtube.com/edu

Topic Explorer takes your viewing history and uses it to suggest topics for your viewing, sort of like a LastFM for videos. But hang on, isn't this the same as "Recommended for You"? No, it's not. RfY is much more limited - search for You Me at Six songs and loads of them will turn up in your RfY. In Topic Explorer you could click the You Me at Six icon to see related bands. I've not explored it much, but it works fantastically - and not just for music either. It's at youtube.com/topic_explorer and yes, I do believe you need to be signed in for it to work - but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd avoid disco however, as I don't think it works properly. You're supposed to be able to input a band and have it return a playlist of their songs and songs from bands like them. However, inputting "Alex Goot" returns solely Maroon 5 music, inputting "The Qemists" returns just stuff by The Qemists and I can't find a way to get it to recognise when I enter more than one band...

Well I hope that was interesting.

See you all soon - tomorrow hopefully,
Schy.

No comments:

Post a Comment