Friday, 27 July 2012

On the Olympics

In a (not so rare) non-writing related post, I thought I'd talk about the Olympics. I personally will not be watching much of the Olympics, but that's because I don't personally like sport very much. I do, however, love what the Olympics represent.

I am one of those (again, not really that rare) British people who don't care that the Olympics are in London this year. They could be anywhere, because this isn't about us here in little old Britain; it's about everyone. The Olympics are the only place where you will ever find this most diverse mix of people, and what makes the Olympics special is that (to steal a quote from a film which is one of my many guilty pleasures - Step Up 2) "it's not about what you've got, it's what you make of what you've got".

The Olympics are the time when 204 countries come together to compete. Yes, two hundred and four. Now that is amazing. It's a mix of countries with diverse cultures, many different languages and massively varying economic statuses. And there's representatives in one place for a whole seventeen days.

Now national pride is all well and good, but what I'm trying to say is that a lot of the time that's ALL people focus on. Maybe we should all think about this and what this could mean for all countries involved if we all worked together more.

(Oh, and because I noticed it come up a lot on Twitter...

The countries were introduced in French first because the International Olympic Committee (IOC) was founded by Frenchman Baron Pierre de Coubertin in 1894 in France, despite the first modern Olympic Games being held in Greece.)

No comments:

Post a Comment